Around Thanksgiving 2015, we decided to launch a campaign to help Syrian orphans in Turkey. What began as a project with a goal of raising $20,000 for 2000 blankets turned into the most successful online campaign of our 10-year history!
After her visit to Istanbul to distribute thousands of blankets, where she met hundreds of orphans and refugees, our founder Dian Alyan decided to do something more. GiveLight plans to sponsor 100 Syrian orphan refugees to attend school. Below are the projects’ details.
Launch of project and progress
What an amazing year 2015 has been for all of us at GiveLight. It ended with beautiful snow flakes falling in Istanbul. As if to symbolize the countless and unexpected blessings we witnessed this past year. Dian took 100+ Syrians orphans and their care takers out to lunch. Meeting these children and their care takers gave us better insights into their struggles and their unmet needs. The most pressing one being their education. While Turkish government provides free education, the kids can't attend because of a language barrier. The alternative is to send kids to a Syrian school but the mothers or guardians are not able to afford this. As a result the kids 8-12 years old are not going to school and instead work in factories or restaurants as cheap labor.
We decided to change this and will begin sponsoring education for 100 orphans starting April this year. We have selected top schools to partner with that met our selection criteria of good management, strong curriculum, dedicated teachers and inspiring ambience.
The snow flakes were such a fitting metaphor for the year filled with His blessings manifested in all aspect of our work. We look forward to an even more spectacular year, with your love and support.
- Launched Blanket of Love campaign - Thanksgiving 2015
- Researched and identified credible partners in Istanbul - December 15, 2015
- Raised $105K - Mid December 2015
- Local partner to purchase high quality blanket in Turkey to save cost - December 20, 2015
- Dian and a volunteer traveled to Turkey for Distribution - December 26, 2015
- First batch of blanket distributions (2300 blankets) at schools and door to door - December 27-30, 2015
- Shipment from the US arrived (11,000 blanket) - January 17, 2016
- Two GL volunteers traveled to Turkey and distributed to schools and door to door - January 18-23, 2016
- Warm Jacket distributed to 300 orphans - March 1st, 2016
- Identified 3 schools to send our Syrian children - March 25, 2016
- Launch school campaign - April 5, 2016
- Begin sponsoring 100 children to attend school - April 10, 2016
We need your help to begin sponsoring 100 children to send them to school
Please donate generously.